Ask the Doctor
Author by Saira Gillani, ND
Submit your health, nutrition, and diet questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the Top 3 Allergies in Georgia and what can I do to prepare myself for Allergy Season?
The top 3 fall allergies in Georgia are Ragweed, Outdoor Molds, and Goldenrod. Ragweed grows abundantly throughout the South, North, and Midwest, and its lightweight pollen grains can travel up to 400 miles in the wind. Outdoor molds are another cause of fall allergies. They first appear in early spring, but thrive until the first frost. They are common in soil, compost piles, and in the leaves that cover the ground during the fall. Goldenrod blooms at the same time that ragweed does and does bring on many allergy symptoms: itchy eyes, joint pain, stuffiness, etc.
Some allergy precautions you can take are:
Use a face mask when you are outside, especially between 5 and 10 a.m. and on windy days.
- Remove pollen from your skin and hair by showering frequently.
- Keep your windows closed and turn on the air conditioner.
- Eat a diet high in green vegetables.
- Take an Antioxidant vitamin and 1,000 iu of Vitamin C daily.
- Build up your immune system with a monthly Nutritional IV Infusion.
- If you rake leaves in the fall, wear a face mask.
- When you first turn on your car air conditioner, leave your windows open and avoid breathing the air for several minutes until mold spores can disperse.
- Most importantly, get tested for allergies with a simple scratch test. If you have allergies, immunotherapy can be created to rid your allergies. Most insurance plans cover testing and creation of the immunotherapy. Call my office to learn more.
What is the best way to Detox?
I recommend the 2 day Arden’s Garden juice detox. It contains fresh grapefruit, orange, and lemon juices. I recommend to do this detox once monthly. They have a few locations in Georgia and also are sold in most Whole Foods stores.
Can Resistant starches be reheated to be able to digest as a fiber?
Yes, new studies suggest that resistant starches may be reheated after cooled for at least 30 minutes.
What are the biggest signs of a Gluten Intolerance?
The biggest signs of gluten intolerance are: joint pain, auto-immune conditions like Hashimoto, Hypothyroid, Lupus, and Rheumatoid Arthritis, gas/bloating, constipation, and eczema. Intolerances can be tested through blood and is offered in our office. Please call my office if you are interested in scheduling a blood test.
What are substitutes for Sodas and Coffee?
Some substitutes for sodas and coffee are: Le Croix sparkling water, green tea, other flavored herbal teas, matcha powder with coconut milk, fresh squeezed green juices.
About the Doctor
Dr. Saira Gillani, ND is the Senior Director of Operations and Naturopathic Medicine at Advanta Total Health. She is Double Board Certified as a Traditional Naturopath and in Nutritional Wellness from ANCB. Her goal is to educate patients to take charge of their health. Her expertise include Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Weight Management, and Rheumatic Conditions. She specializes in allergy and nutritional testing and offers many medical tests for food and substance sensitivities, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, etc. Visit www.drsairand.com to learn more or call 770-955-2225.